listed below are the 48 most revealing lines indigenous Bannon about President Donald Trump, his time in the White House and also the Republican Party.
1. “The Republican facility is trying come nullify the 2016 election.”
Think about this statement. Republicans space in regulate of the House, the Senate and the White House. This should be an pure Republican golden Age. Instead, Bannon sees an continuous civil war in i beg your pardon the GOP establishment continues to shot to rob the populist strain in the party the its rightful credit and power.
2. “They do not want Donald Trump’s populist, economic nationalist agenda to be implemented.”
The “they” right here is Senate majority Leader Mitch McConnell and also House speaker Paul Ryan. And also it’s not completely what “they” have blocked the Trump’s agenda yet presumably Bannon means failing to repeal Obamacare or approve funding for the border wall? (Worth remembering: Trump no really operation on a collection of issues; the ran ~ above a willingness come say controversial and un-politically correct things.)
3. “The ‘drain the swamp’ thing was – is Mitch McConnell was day one walk not want to – go not want to go there. Wanted united state to earlier off.”
You are watching: Charlie rose interview with steve bannon
McConnell has been in the Senate due to the fact that 1985. He is a consummate insider who has actually made his surname in Washington through his capacity to outmaneuver his adversaries using Senate arcana. He literally is the so-called “swamp” and also has make a very good living because that himself and his party through being simply that.
4. “They’re going come be hosted accountable if they execute not assistance the chairman of the joined States.”
The previous top strategist because that the Republican president is openly threatening members of his party who disagree through Trump. Oh, additionally this news that Bannon is organizing major challengers versus GOP incumbents who don’t loss in line with Trump.
5. “The swamp is a company model. The a successful service model.”
He’s no wrong.
however it’s likewise worth noting that draining the swamp is a business model, too. Too many of outside groups and political consultants have actually raised several money and also gotten really rich by promise to drainpipe the swamp.
6. “In the 48 hours after we won, yes sir a basic decision the was made … We adopted the establishment.”
This was, come Bannon’s mind, a very bad decision.
7. “So he looks around and I’m wearin’ my combat jacket, i haven’t shaved, I gained – you know, my hair’s under to right here …”
Bannon is talking about Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner, who apparently made the decision to adopt the facility after trump won. But, it’s an essential point. Bannon – all twin button-down shirts and unruly hair – no look like main Washington. Kushner, suit and also tie at every times, did.
8. “That would certainly be more than likely – that probably would be also bombastic even for me, yet maybe modern political history.”
Bannon is responding to Rose’s question of whether the shooting of previous FBI director James Comey was the best mistake in politics history. Suffice come say, the so far the worst wrong of Trump’s politics history.
9. “By the Easter break, we’ll perform repeal and also replace.”
Bannon argued that Ryan promised Trump the Congress would eliminate the Affordable treatment Act in the spring, handle tax reform over the summer and do facilities in the fall. It, um, there is no played out favor that.
10. “I think their an option is walk to be you’re no going to be able to totally repeal it.”
This is right. And John Boehner, the former speaker of the House, to be right once he guess Republicans i will not ~ repeal Obamacare. The issue? acquiring rid of it sound good. But replacing it with something rather is very facility and Republicans nothing agree on just how to carry out it.
11. “I’m worried around losing the home now therefore – the – due to the fact that of DACA.”
Bannon opposes the six-month home window Trump gave Republican in congress to acquire something excellent on DACA. His worry – republicans debate and debate it however get nothing done over time — is a legit one.
12. “I think what we have to do is focus on the American citizens.”
This is Bannon’s politic(!) way of saying that he thinks Trump should have simply ended DACA.
13. “I think – ns think as – together the job-related permits run out they me deport.”
“The prize is self-deportation.” – Mitt Romney, 2012.
14. “There’s no route to citizenship, no path to a environment-friendly card and also – no amnesty. Elegance is non-negotiable.”
Bannon’s check out is no uncommon among Republicans in conference – especially in the House. That truth makes clear how hard it will be for Ryan and McConnell to find any kind of sort of deal on DACA that a bulk of your conference will be for.
15. “You couldn’t be an ext dead wrong. America was developed on her citizens.”
This an answer from Bannon come in an answer to Rose mentioning that the us was conceived together a melt pot. Bannon, um, disagrees. Vehemently.
16. “Economic nationalism is what this country was built on. The American system.”
Bannon’s discussion – which he goes into slightly more detail ~ above with rose – is the the US needs to look the end for itself and also its manufacturing sector, first, 2nd and last. And also that human being who aren’t citizens aren’t component of the equation.
17. “Because can not to yes, really to involved grips with the difficulties in the church, they need illegal aliens, they require illegal aliens to to fill the churches.”
Um, what? by Bannon’s logic, the factor the Catholic Church opposes the repeal the DACA is due to the fact that they know the belief is struggling and the only way to make their numbers is to allow undocumented immigrant to pack right into their church services.
gambling you didn’t know that.
18. “I’m a street fighter. It is what ns am.”
Also, same. Except the specific opposite.
19. “Donald Trump’s a fighter. Good counter puncher. Good counter puncher. He’s a fighter.”
The “counterpuncher” thing is directly from the mouth that Trump. Those interesting about it is the it’s not entirely true. Trump does do finest when the is in a ago and forth v someone – chairman Obama, Hillary Clinton, Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, etc. But, it’s not at every clear to me that Trump is always counterpunching. That feels favor he is just punching a same amount that the time.
20. “I to be the only male that said he’s talking around something, taking it as much as a greater level.”
Bannon on trump on Charlottesville. It’s no clear come me exactly how Trump’s attempts in ~ both-side-ism when managing neo-Nazis and white supremacists to be him “taking it up to a higher level.”
21. “When girlfriend side through a man, you side v him. I was proud come come out and try to defend President trumped in the media the day.”
So, since Bannon stated he was for Trump and had worked to obtain him elected, the only honorable thing to execute was to defend Trump ~ above Charlottesville? that is, come me, weird logic.
22. “I’m talking about obviously, about Gary Cohn and also some various other people. That if you don’t prefer what he’s doing and also you don’t agree with it, you have an responsibility to resign.”
Cohn, the chief financial adviser to Trump, is Jewish. In an interview v the Financial time post-Charlottesville, Cohn stated Trump “can and also must do better” in condemning hate groups. That, according to Bannon, is a bridge too much – and Cohn should have actually resigned.
23. “David battle each other – the President has actually condemned David Duke and also what David battle each other stands for.”
In one interview v elafilador.net’s Jake Tapper in February 2016, Trump stated this that Duke: “I don’t know – did the endorse me, or those going on? because I recognize nothing around David Duke; I know nothing around white supremacists.”
He later on blamed a bad earpiece because that the comments.
24. “I don’t should be lectured – through a bunch of – by a bunch the limousine liberals, OK native the Upper eastern Side of new York and from the Hamptons, OK, about any that this.”
Remember that at the heart of Bannonism (and Trumpism) is a hate for elites. That distaste comes out in this quote from Bannon. He see elitists as having actually lectured the his entirety life about how to act and what to say – even though lock allegedly absence the life suffer he has.
25. “There’s nothing come the Russia investigation. It’s a rubbish of time.”
i don’t recognize if Bannon is echoing Trump here or the other method around. Either way, this is specifically what Trump proceeds to say around the one-of-a-kind counsel investigation right into Russian interference in the 2016 election.
26. “I think it’s far from conclusive that the Russians had any affect on this election.”
This is a typical talking allude from the chairman – and others approximately him. But it misses the point. Nobody is alleging that Russian altered the choice results. Trumped won. Period.
See more: Colleges With No Sat Or Act Requirement, What Colleges And Universities Will Be Test
What is at worry is exactly how Russia tried come meddle in the election, whether and also where they had actually success and if anyone in Trumpworld colluded with the Russians to make all of this happen.
27. “I don’t think the chairman goes the end of his method – what his suggest is, why pick an additional fight?”
“Donald Trump’s a fighter. Great counterpuncher. An excellent counterpuncher. He is a fighter.” – Steve Bannon, #18
28. “He criticizes the Russians every the time.”
He yes, really doesn’t.
29. “The elite in this nation have obtained us in a situation, we’re in ~ not financial war through China, China is at financial war through us.”
“The elites.” (See #23)
30. “That’s the geniuses of the shrub administration. I hold these human being in contempt, total and also complete contempt.”
I created last week about how Trump had actually killed the Republican Party George W. Bush tried to build.
31. “They’re idiots, and also they’ve gotten us in this situation, and also they concern a good man like Donald Trump.”
Don’t hold back, Steve! Tell united state what you really think!
32. “The Condi Rice, the George W. Bush, his whole national protection apparatus.”
It’s exciting to me the in the entire Bannon interview therefore far, he’s assaulted Democrats no at all and also Republicans a entirety lot.
33. “Reince began off and Reince said, ‘You have actually – you have two choices. You one of two people drop out best now, or you lose by the best landslide in American politics history.’”
36. “You can speak to me anything you want. OK?”
37. “I’m not reduced out to it is in a staffer.”
One-thousand percent true. It was always an strange fit because that Bannon to it is in in the White home staff. The is a fee the entrances kind the guy. Not a was standing behind them one.
38. “I cannot take the hit to who we have to take the fight to once I’m an torture to the President as a federal government employee.”
the a fascinating window into Bannon’s reasoning that he believes he deserve to only have real affect on that he requirements to influence by being something various other than the cook strategist to the president of the unified States.
39. “A Darwinian atmosphere for concepts is positive.”
This sounds favor a Decemberists lyric.
40. “I think what the does ~ above Twitter is extraordinary. He disintermediates the media.”
two sentences that describe why Trump will never, ever give up his Twitter feed – regardless of whether Bannon (or Trump) is right about social media.
41. “The pearl-clutching mainstream media.”
I seldom wear pearls come the office. And, once I do, I try not to clutch them.
42. “I don’t think he demands – The Washington Post and The new York Times and also CBS News. And also I don’t think he thinks that they’re looking the end what’s in his best interest, OK?”
(screams) The media’s job is not to look the end for any type of President’s “best interest.”
43. “(General Kelly’s) no going to be able to control that either due to the fact that it’s Donald Trump.”
Bannon can not be much more right around this. Trump is Trump. No one will readjust that.
44. “Hillary Clinton’s not very bright.”
The sexty of hot takes.
45. “Sherrod Brown it s okay this. Tim Ryan it s okay this … The people around (Chuck) Schumer obtain this.”
The Bannon endorsement! mine guess is that these three Democrats will not it is in touting Bannon’s kind words about them.
46. “And (Bernie Sanders) walk not have actually the organs to take it on Hillary Clinton in that primary.”
ns not certain it was about guts yet there’s no inquiry that Sanders could have gone after Clinton means harder 보다 he walk in the 2016 autonomous primary.
(Greg Krieg and also I talked about that here.)
47. “I think he is at 30 – i think he’s 36% or 38% because he hasn’t – us haven’t obtained the wall built.”
the is not the factor I would have cited for Trump’s short approval ratings.
48. “We’re going to victory in ‘18 and also we’ll pick up 6 or seven Senate seats. I think we’ll choose up a pair of seat in the House. And also he’ll win in a large landslide in ‘20.”
This prediction is predicated on Trump continuing to carry out what he promised to execute as a candidate, follow to Bannon.