This Sunday, the environment-friendly Bay Packers will certainly square off versus the Chicago Bears. In the process, the Packers will face a beginning quarterback they’ve never played against before. Justin areas is the latest Bears starter and is additionally the second starting quarterback Chicago has used currently in this young season.
You are watching: Chicago bears quarterbacks of the past
Quarterback inconsistency isn’t a new thing because that the Bears. In the last 20 years, there have been an astonishing 25 quarterbacks who have actually started a game for the Chicago Bears. Throughout that same time frame, the Packers have started simply six. So together we prepare come welcome however another brand-new Windy City QB come the longest rivalry in all of professional sports, let’s look earlier at and RANK every the Chicago Bears starting quarterbacks indigenous the past 20 years.
25. Todd CollinsSomebody had actually to it is in last, and also that human being is Todd Collins. The longtime Buffalo, Kansas City, and also Washington reserve quarterback ended his job on a sour keep in mind as Jay Cutler’s backup in Chicago in 2010. In two games (one start), he completed simply 37 percent that his passes. He had a full of 68 pass yards, no touchdowns, and also five interceptions. Miraculously, his document as a bears starter is 1-0.
24. Henry BurrisIn 2002, rookie Henry Burris appeared in six gamings under facility for the bear (only one together a starter). In the span, he controlled 18 completions in 51 attempts and threw three touchdowns compared to 5 picks. He shed his only career start and never played in the NFL again.
23. Jason CampbellDuring his time together QB1 in Washington one Oakland, Jason Campbell confirmed himself to it is in a skilled starter, twice throwing for more than 3,000 yards in a season. Those flashes of greatness—well, flashes of goodness—didn’t follow him to the public City in 2012. There, he appeared in six games (including one start), throwing for 265 yards, with two happen touchdowns and also a pair that interceptions.
22. Jimmy ClausenFollowing 2 abysmal periods with the Panthers, Notre Dame standout Jimmy Clausen returned to the Midwest in 2014 to back up Cutler. Regrettably for bears fans, the was called upon a couple of times the season and in 2015, tossing a pair that touchdowns and interceptions, and amassing just 407 yards with the wait in six games (two starts—both losses).
21. Andy DaltonIf this list consisted of non-Bears seasons, Andy Dalton would probably have actually the number one spot. Yet alas, the only counts performances through Chicago, for this reason the longtime Bengals quarterback and three-time pro Bowler is hidden near the finish of this unflattering list. In three games this season (two starts, however only one complete game under center), the veteran had actually a 1-1 record, completed 74 percent the his passes because that a complete of 270 yards, and tossed a touchdown (as well together one interception). His mainly 2 injury provided an opening for rookie standout Justin fields to take over together starter, so it appears like—barring a fields injury or ineffective spell—Dalton won’t be able to ascend this ranks.
20. Caleb HanieWe feel bad saying the (especially about someone who climbed come the pro level for a few seasons), however Caleb Hanie was pretty bad. He spent two year mercifully hidden on the depth chart in Chicago prior to the Bears finally needed his services in 2011. During six gamings that season (four that those as a starter), Hanie go 0-4 with three touchdowns and NINE interceptions. Throughout the playoffs, he additionally relieved Cutler so late in the NFC Championship Game and threw the unforgettable interception come B.J. Raji that punched eco-friendly Bay’s Super key ticket.
19. Jonathan QuinnIn 2004, a 29-year-old journeyman backup named Jonathan Quinn started three games for the Bears. That did not go well. Quinn to be winless in those three games. In between those start (and 2 other gamings he appeared in that season), he had 413 pass yards, a touchdown, three interceptions, and was the end of the NFL through season’s end.
18. Justin FieldsAfter coming in because that an hurt Andy Dalton in mainly 2, the aforementioned heralded rookie playcaller is turn off to a nice encouraging start. Just 5 games into his expert career, fields has currently outperformed seven other Bears starters because the year 2001 and also will likely jump increase a few more spots before the season is through.
17. Craig KrenzelRemember earlier when we stated Jonathan Quinn didn’t do very well together the starting quarterback for the 2004 Chicago Bears? Well, the same deserve to be stated for Craig Krenzel. In five starts (six games total) that season, the rookie completed 46.5 percent the his throws for a paltry 718 yards and also three touchdowns. In spite of those numbers and the six interceptions he threw, Krenzel somehow led the bear to 3 wins while under center.
16. Mike GlennonPeople constantly talk around how overpaid Mike Glennon to be by Chicago, yet a most folks forget the was likewise pretty terrible too. After ~ signing a three-year, $45 million address the bear in 2017, the career back-up went 1-3 in 4 starts put on navy and orange. In the process, he managed 833 pass yards, four touchdowns, and also five interceptions. He to be released ~ his very first season in Chicago, through the bear paying a total of $18.5 million because that Glennon’s solutions in those 4 brutal games.
15. Chad HutchinsonContrary to well-known belief, Chad Hutchinson to be a genuine quarterback and not a create-a-player avatar top top Madden or something. In 2004 (the same year Krenzel and also Quinn took a crack at gift the Bears’ beginning QB), Hutchinson started five contests, winning just one. Despite he wasn’t good by any type of measure, he still managed much more passing yards and more touchdowns than the various other ’04 alternatives.
14. Follow DanielUsually, follow Daniel has a pretty great gig. Since 2010 (and proceeding on with this really day), the quarterback has actually made millions and evaded injury as either the No. 2 or third-string quarterback because that six different NFL teams. However, this lucrative job obtained less enticing in parts of 2018 and also 2019, once Daniel had actually to actually play in a full of eight games with the bear (three the those as the team’s starter). A win, 98 completions, 950 pass yards, and six touchdowns later, Daniel’s stint v Chicago is the many accomplished portion of his playing career. Us wonder if that thinks about those games these days as soon as he’s stop a clipboard in sunny Los Angeles together a member that the first-place Chargers.
13. Cordell StewartFor a brief time in the mid-’90s, kordell Stewart to be the focal allude of the soccer world. Lengthy after his heyday as the hybrid offensive pressure in Pittsburgh, however, “Slash” was the starter for the 2003 Bears. Prior to losing the job seven games into that season, Stewart walk 2-5 at the helm. End a full of nine games, he controlled 1,418 passing yards (and 290 rushing yards), 10 total touchdowns, and 12 picks.
12. Brian HoyerAfter admirable fill-in occupational with the Browns and Texans the previous 2 seasons, the Bears were surely hope for comparable returns as soon as they brought in Brian Hoyer to backup Jay Cutler in 2016. That went…fine. In six gamings (five starts) through the Bears, Hoyer go 1-4 with six touchdowns and no interceptions.
11. Matt BarkleyAnother 2016 Bears backup who had actually to start a couple of games, previous USC quarterback Matt Barkley actually placed up numbers that space far far better than his 1-5 document as a starter would certainly indicate. In his seven full games v Chicago, Barkley had actually 1,611 pass yards and eight touchdowns. His 14 interceptions throughout that span, however, might help explain that 1-5 record.
10. Brian GrieseFollowing seven years together the starting quarterback for the Broncos, Dolphins, and also Buccaneers, Brian Griese was lugged to Chicago to back up Rex Grossman in 2006. Adhering to a season with limited activity (wherein Chicago visited the super Bowl and also lost to Indy), Griese was dubbed upon to start six games in Grossman’s lack in 2007. That went 3-3 throughout that span, and also he tallied a total of 2,023 pass yards 11 touchdowns, and also 14 interceptions in 13 total games v Chicago.
9. Kris ChandlerNear the tail finish of a career the spanned parts of 3 decades, oft-injured veteran kris Chandler was more than likely ready to wind down as Jim Miller’s emergency fill-in on the 2002 Bears. The universe had other ideas. That season and the adhering to year, the banged-up back-up was tasked with playing in 17 gamings (including 13 starts). He managed much more than 2,000 passing yards, 7 touchdowns, and also 11 interceptions prior to leaving Chicago in 2003 and also calling it a job a year later.
8. Nick FolesBefore it’s all said and also done, Foles can wind up higher on this list. However, the former Eagles supervisor Bowl-winning quarterback and also current bears third-stringer seems unlikely to add to his stat sheet with Fields and Dalton ahead of him on the depth chart. Still, Foles and also his decent half-season mirroring in 2020 earns him a higher spot 보다 those guys on this perform at the moment. Regardless of his misleading 2-5 document as a bears starter, Foles threw for an ext than 1,800 yards and had 11 total touchdowns in components of nine gamings last year.
7. Mock McCownIt’s almost weirder if josh McCown didn’t pat on your team. Yes, Chicago was among the journeyman QB’s nine stops during his 17-year career. In between 2011 and 2013, McCown play in 11 games (seven that those starts), wherein he threw because that 2,243 yards and 15 touchdowns contrasted to just five picks.
6. Shane MatthewsWith a bears career that concluded after the 2001 season, Shane Matthews proper qualifies because that this list. However, that does…and the undrafted quarterback’s on-field accomplishments earn the a surprisingly high point out here. Over the course of 20 gamings on the ar in a bears uniform (15 starts), Matthews threw for 3,461 happen yards and 19 touchdowns. He additionally had 18 interceptions.
5. Jim MillerThough Jim Miller had actually all the fanfare and flashiness you might expect from a guy named “Jim Miller,” the longtime Steelers and also Bears back-up got the project done when referred to as upon. Chicago dubbed on Miller exactly 32 times in between 1999 and also 2002, and he responded v 5,867 happen yards, 34 touchdowns, and a 15-11 record as a starter during that span.
4. Kyle OrtonIn every of his three seasons with Chicago, Kyle Orton led the bear to a winning record in games he started. In total, good old neckbeard walk 21-11 as a bears starter, with 30 touchdowns and more than 5,300 yards with the air. Those numbers aren’t gaudy, however much choose Miller, Orton got the job done.
3. Rex GrossmanHe took the bears to the supervisor Bowl. Only one other quarterback in franchise background can speak that. That alone helps Rex Grossman cracked the height three. Coincidentally, that 13-3 career year in 2006 is pretty lot the entirety of Grossman’s credentials. Aside from the 23-touchdown campaign, “Sexy Rexy” never threw an ext than seven TDs in a solitary season with the Bears.
2. Mitchell TrubiskyYeah, really. Mitch “Please, call me Mitchell” Trubisky is the 2nd best bears quarterback the this no longer very young century. The previous franchise savior-to-be, man drafted before Patrick Mahomes, and present day Bills back-up is miraculously in the top five in plenty of Bears pass categories in spite of never really being able to traction it together. Yikes.
See more: Covid 19 Vaccine Pfizer Vs Moderna, Comparing The Covid
1. Jay CutlerIt’s sad, however it’s true. In fact, Jay Cutler isn’t simply the finest Bears quarterback of the previous 20 years…he’s the finest quarterback in Bears history by a pretty large margin. He’s the franchise leader in wins for a beginning quarterback, attempts, completions, passing yards, and also touchdowns. Sorry, bears fans.