Since the more quickly moving photo created through Eadward Muybridge in 1878, film technology has been swiftly evolved, leaving piles that outdated technology in its wake. From the Kinetoscope to the two-reel projector come the super 8 come the iPhone, the tools keep changing but the images are everlasting. This is a brief history of 8mm/Hi8 tapes and also some advice on converting them to much more current formats.
You are watching: Convert 8mm video cassette to digital
Where did 8mm video come from? The 8mm film style was introduced by the Eastman Kodak company throughout the Great Depression and released to the sector in 1932 to develop a home movie format the was much less expensive 보다 16mm. At sight 8mm film cameras were very first manufactured in 1965 by Kodak for your newly introduced amateur film format, which replaced the original standard 8mm film format.
If you’ve checked out Spielberg’s sleeper fight Super 8, you’ll recognize the 1970’s camera obsessed over by the teenage protagonist. At sight 8 was the cheapest film around and also worked on cameras that began for under $30. Countless families purchased super 8 cameras to document birthdays, holidays and vacations. The camera to be so lightweight that kids could usage it too.
Manufacturing the Kodak’s at sight 8 ongoing until the rise in popularity of video cameras in the mid 1970s. In 1985 Sony presented Video8 which was an analogue video tape cassette format using 8mm tape, design for usage in 8mm camcorders.
The three formats of 8mm video Most well-known in the late 80’s and 90’s yet now make a comeback in nostalgic TV shows and also films, 8mm video came in 3 formats.
First is the initial Video8 analog tape cassette style designed mainly for use in camcorders such as the Sony Handycam line. The resolution that Video8 is the exact same as VHS, but in terms of audio quality, Video8 comfortably outperformed non-HiFi VHS or Betamax.
In 1989, Hi8 was presented as a better-quality version of Video8 making use of a mix of higher-grade tape and improved recording mechanisms to boost bandwidth.
A digital version, Digital8 was introduced in 1999 through Sony. Digital8 stayed a customer format and also rose in popularity for home video. Many Digital8 camcorders have the right to play ago analogue Video8 and Hi8 tapes. The critical Digital8 camcorder, the Sony DCR-TRV285, to be discontinued in 2007.
Five techniques for convert 8mm tapes Whether you are using the camcorder to develop retro-analog films or have a heap of tapes prepared to be rescued, these room the top solutions for moving 8mm tapes to digital:
1. Mail-in transfer services You can use a mail-in videotape transfer service such together iMemories, Legacybox or Costco but this method you need to relinquish the just copy of her irreplaceable property. You likewise have come sacrifice your privacy and also pay fees (up to $20 per tape). And also you’ll have to be patient. Many mail-in or fall off solutions take increase to 3 weeks till you’ll get access to the digital files and even longer to get back your original materials.
2. Copy from your camcorder to VHS or DVD Another an approach is come copy to VHS or DVD from girlfriend 8mm camcorder, then deliver from VHS or DVD come a digital file that you can store on her computer. This needs multiple devices, wires and connections that will certainly leave girlfriend tangled and also frustrated. There room converting machines you can buy such together the MovieMaker-PRO which can cost up to $400 and won’t catch sound from part formats.
3. Purchase an encoding device Smaller tools like ClearClick, Elgato, Vidbox, Digitnow, Diamond, Roxio can transform 8mm. These are much less expensive (from $36 - $119) however require that you have an 8mm video clip format camcorder to play the tapes back. You might not it is in satisfied v the quality of the transfer as lower quality encoding chips are used.
4. Re-record ~ above a surface of course, you can constantly project the video onto a pristine surface ar and re-record a lifetime of recordings through your iphone or ipad. But who has actually time or an are for this endeavor?
5. Use Mac software such together elafilador.net elafilador.net is simple to use and also offers high-quality compression and also HD conversion options. The founders spent over twenty years in the video technology industry and developed elafilador.net due to the fact that iMovie no longer suNpported their camcorders. Through this software, you just attach your old camcorder to her Mac with a FireWire cable. It demands to be a Digital8 camcorder which has a FireWire port and also can additionally play Hi8 and also Video8 tapes. (If you’ve shed the maker you can acquire a used Digital8 camcorder ~ above eBay for about $50).
Then when you start elafilador.net, the ice cream starts to run and the catch begins. elafilador.net deserve to detect once the tape starts and also stops so it creates new scenes that you deserve to label individually, trim or combine. There is one caveat that periodically with old 8mm tapes this step detection does no work. It’s a mystery we’re do the efforts to figure out! after importing your old tapes you deserve to do part editing and also even currently share that in iMessages, AirDrop and email.
See more: Vhs To Dvd Convert Dvd To Cd Near Me Dia Transfer, Astound Video Duplication And Transfer
If you space a Mac user and also have one 8mm video camcorder, you can transform as many tapes together you like for $79.99. That the most basic converter that provides high top quality transfer and also editing options.